Can I Amend My Borrower Defense to Repayment Claim?


Dear Steve,

Attended ITT Technical and was deceived by their recruiters.

I filed a Borrowers Defense to repayment-previously but never heard back from the Department of Education. I now have come up with more supporting documentation. Can I file an “amended” BTR online?



Dear Charles,

Well, this falls under the heading of sure, but what’s the point.

At the time I’m writing this the Trump administration under Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has essentially stopped processing these claims and does not want to allow people to have their loans forgiven.

You can see the latest posts on this mess, here.

The new proposed rule for the Borrower Defense to Repayment program changes the fundamental way the program works. Under the old program, your loans would be put in forbearance and collection activity would stop. Under the new proposed program, you have to keep making your payments and only loans not in default would be considered.

The old program would forgive your student loans in full. The new proposed program will forgive part of the loans based on your income and income of your peer students when you attended.

Basically, it’s a freaking mess. Nothing is resolved, everything is up in the air, and it seems little is being done. Yet claims continue to back up.

Now technically you can submit additional information by email at or by mail at Borrower Defense to Repayment, P.O. Box 1854, Monticello, KY 42633.

I have 1% confidence it will actually wind up attached to your original application.

The Department of Education says they would prefer to receive additional documentation with your original application. And this is the type of additional documentation they are looking for.

“[T]he following types of documents are among those that may be helpful to your application:

  • Documentation to confirm the school for which you are applying for borrower defense, your program of study, and your dates of enrollment—such as transcripts, enrollment agreements, and registration documents
  • Promotional materials from the school
  • Emails with school officials
  • Your school’s manual or course catalog” – Source

So the bottom line is you can sure do what you want but I remain highly skeptical it will get connected with your original application.

However, it can’t hurt. Just make sure you send the material by mail and by traceable means so you have a record of sending it and them receiving it. That way when they claim you never sent it you can have proof for your appeal.

Steve Rhode
Get Out of Debt GuyTwitter, G+, Facebook

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask, just click here and ask away.

This article by Steve Rhode first appeared on Get Out of Debt Guy and was distributed by the Personal Finance Syndication Network.

The post Can I Amend My Borrower Defense to Repayment Claim? appeared first on Personal Finance Syndication Network.

About Damon Day

As a Debt Coach and a Financial Advocate, I have saved my clients Millions of Dollars by exposing the debt relief scams that other consumers fall victim to. I work directly for my clients to create custom debt relief strategies based on their own unique circumstances. Consumers who speak with me first, come out far ahead of those who don't, every single time. Guaranteed. +Damon Day